Hamilton Review of Books
Volunteer Position: Senior Editor
Starting date: Fall 2018
• Work with the EIC on making editorial and staffing decisions
• Be familiar with forthcoming titles from a diversity of presses
• Pitch potential content (reviews, interviews, essays, columns) for issues
• Develop and maintain relationships with contributors and solicit work from them – usually between one and three pieces per issue
• Manage contributor contracts and connect contributors to ARCs
• Receive, edit and proofread contributors’ and fellow editors’ work
• Write content for issues (reviews, interviews, columns)
• Attend monthly editorial meetings
• Read and respond promptly to email messages from contributors and from fellow editors
• Meet set deadlines
• Promote magazine through social and mainstream media
• Represent magazine at events and in community
Must love books! The successful candidate will have strong knowledge and interest in the Canadian literary scene, and a desire to be a part of our mission to highlight Hamilton writers and books, as well as Canadian writing in general. Background and experience promoting content and events via both traditional and social media platforms are strong assets. Grant-writing experience is most welcome. Strong organizational skills, and a cooperative, supportive approach to working with others are musts, as well as a willingness and availability to take part in all events and activities associated with the journal. This is a voluntary position.
Hamilton Review of Books welcomes applicants from all backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities, genders, identities, and orientations. Ideally applicants would be located in Hamilton or surrounding areas so as to be able to attend monthly editorial meetings.
Apply by sending a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us about yourself and why you would like to be a part of Hamilton Review of Books. Optional: include a one-page resume with your relevant experience.